Friday, June 3, 2011

2.1 Life Goes On


















It had been nearly six months since the unfortunate passing of his parents. The whole community, though sadly stricken when the news had come, had seemed to have moved on and forward with their lives. Matthew did too…in a way. He took part of his inheritance and bought a charming little modern two bedroom home on the banks of the Bridgeport Bay, with wall to floor ceilings, one just couldn’t beat that view –day or night.
He sat on his couch trying to concentrate long enough to watch the highlights of the afternoon football game and failing miserably.

“Oh Mason, what am I going to do with you.” He mouthed to himself as he peered down at the text on his phone.

 
Suddenly his jumbled thoughts were interrupted by loud clicking sounds on the hardwood floorboards. He looked over to see only a single pair of long, creamy white, silky legs strutting towards him. He slid himself into the adjacent chair allowing her to take her favorite seat in the house.


 
She sat down, politely crossing her legs before reaching to unlatch her heels –making herself at home. She glanced over in his direction and flashed him a smile. When he didn’t immediately return the gesture, her look quickly turned to concern.

“What is it Matty?” She said softly as she slipped out of her shoes. Matthew only shook his head from side to side.

“Now we both know that is a load of bull…” She said in a stern tone.

“It’s Mason.” He said softly. He didn’t look at her but he could just see her eyes rolling to the back of her head.

“Figures…” She said with an air of attitude.


















“You know Matty…you need to let Mason live his own life…you can’t always come to the rescue, how will he ever get his shit straightened out if you are always there to clean up his mess!” She said –highly irritated.

“He’s my brother Kiara…I can’t just let him live in the streets.” Matthew replied.

“What do you mean…oh…no…please don’t tell me you’re….” She didn’t get to finish her sentence before he cut her off, defending Mason.

“It will only be for a little while, I promise…” Matthew said as he stood up to comfort Kiara. He pulled her into his arms and cupped her face in his hands.  He knew that this could only cause friction between them…but he would never be able to live with himself if he gave up on his own flesh and blood.

She smiled at him…but he knew deep down it wasn’t genuine. She wanted to do the right thing…she wanted to be supportive and welcoming…but Mason had almost worn out his welcome…and on more than one occasion. To Kiara…Matthew could never see that his own brother was a loser and a mooch, but Kiara…he couldn’t fool her.
Matthew dropped his hands to his sides and gently held Kiara’s in the palms.

“It will six to eight months max…I promise…I told him if he was staying here he had to get a job and help pay bills and put the rest away so that he could get his own place.” Matthew said to her.

“Guess he shouldn’t have blown his inheritance at the strip clubs…now should he have?” Kiara replied bitterly.

“Please Kiara; try to be a little compassionate…what if it was Olivia in this situation?” Matthew tried to reason with her.

“Don’t you compare my sister to him….” She hissed. Matthew shot her a look of discontentment.

“Fine…do what you want…but six months…I really can’t sit here and watch you let your brother make a fool of you any longer.” Was all she said as she snatched up her shoes and put them on , stomping out the door.

Matthew had never been the type to anger very easily…but since the passing of his parents his emotions had run wild. He had felt things he never though he would…anger…rage…utter saddness. He picked up the single most important piece of history that he had from his father. An autographed custom made Gibson Explorer played within his favorite band – Tom Jetty and The Heartseekers.

Everett had taken him to a concert when he was ten years old and backstage Tom Jetty had shook Matthew’s hand and signed the very guitar he played on in the concert and placed it in Matthew’s hands. Ever since that moment, music is where he found his freedom and his release.


















Just as the sun had set behind the Bridgeport skyline, Matthew grazed his fingertips across the strings of the guitar, took in a deep breath and began to play.

"With my gaze caught in the deep blue,
I notice the way I think about you,
Curved lips I just can't disguise.
Hiding the lingering anger in my eyes.
Why is it so hard for me to decide?
which I need more?
Love...
Honor

I can't wake up
 I'm standing on the edge going through the motions
Every day the same.
and I will take your whole world on my shoulders.
If that would only keep away the rain."

Matthew awoke that morning just after dawn, when the gentle rays of the sun had cast over him waking him from his slumber. Sluggishly he pushed the covers off himself waiting for Kiara to roll over and hit him. But nothing happened. Everything was quiet and still. He glanced over to see the side of the bed where she rested her head at night…untouched –the linens still neatly pressed across the mattress. The pillow still fluffed and in position. She had slept last night, he was sure –it just wasn’t in this bed.
















Normally it wouldn’t bother him –Kiara not coming home. This morning it did bother him. The way she stomped out of the house…how she had made his brother seem like such a burden –such a waste of space. It had opened his eyes to the demeanor of not only Mason…but her as well. He swung his leg over the bed and propped himself up. The morning sun had cast a bronzing glow upon his skin, still trying to adjust –he glanced over at the clock. Just after six-thirty. 

Matthew sauntered down the stairs, still rubbing his eyes from his restless night of sleep. His mind was a jumbled mess of what ifs…and how cans…why not’s…so many things were still resting heavily inside –unspoken.


He opened the door and reached down to grab the morning paper, when he noticed her rust box parked alongside the front yard. Why does she always do that! There is a driveway for crying out loud! He said to himself as he turned and went back inside.

He placed the newspaper on the counter as he watched Kiara placing breakfast in the oven. You’re not going to ask her where she was last night Matthew…

“So…early morning?” He said. She nodded her head and closed the oven.

“Where were you last night…you didn’t come home?” He said. SHIT! The word echoed in his head.

“I stayed over at Olivia’s, is that okay with you?” She snipped.

“It would have been nice if you would have called or something.” He replied.

“Sorry didn’t know I needed your permission…” She said sarcastically.

“No, you don’t, but its common courtesy.” He spat back.

“Listen Matthew…” She said in a harsh tone. Right then and there he knew it wasn’t going to be good. She never called him Matthew –unless she was angry.

“I am not much in the mood for an argument; you can do as you please…there for I will do as I please. You want your brother to stay here and mooch off of you…fine by me. But don’t think for one moment that anything will be ‘different’ this time around.” She said.

“I understand he is your brother, but you need to wake up and smell the coffee here…he is a grown adult, capable of making his own decisions…and the decisions he makes…he should be the one dealing with the consequences…not you. This is beginning to get a little out of hand and you just can’t see that.” She added.

“HE IS MY BROTHER! He needs help…I won’t turn my back on him!” Matthew shouted.

“It’s not okay to turn your back on your brother…but it’s okay to turn your back on me? I see how it is Matthew. I will give you and your brother some space to deal with things. You may not be able to wash your hands of his mess…but I am. I can’t handle it any longer it’s not only tearing us apart…but you as well…and I can’t just sit here and watch you fall apart.” She replied. She kissed him softly on the cheek before walking out of the house.

Matthew stood there dumbfounded in the kitchen, his mind filled with so many emotions and his hands filled with a plate of burnt waffles. He expected so much out of life…but feeling like this day in and day out…wasn’t one of them.

There was a light tap at the door. Matthew threw on a pair of sweats and jogged to the front hall. He opened it hoping that it would be Kiara…and that she had come to her senses. But when he opened the door and saw Mason standing on the front porch with a shit-eating grin on his face –he sighed.

“Hey bro! I’m home!” Mason said happily as he placed his bag on the ground to greet his brother. Matthew shot him a half-hearted smile, raising his eyebrows at him. This was going to be a long six months.

11 comments:

Horsesrox76 said...

LOVE IT! I wonder what will happen between the brothers ;)

Hosea said...

Oh man! I hope Matt and Kiara and come to some agreement with this and not let it tear them apart. Maybe Matt can help her see how is will always be there for his family.

Mason...just like his brother, I hope he does a 360 with his life.. but I know there is bound to be a little drama first right? Hehe

Lovely Chapter!!

Qui. said...

For some reason, Kiara rubs me the wrong way. I don't know if I like her but I'll hang on to my opinion of her until I see something likable.

Matthew is a cutie and seems like he has a lot going good for himself. I hope helping his brother won't be his downfall and Mason will get his act together.

Cami said...

Kiara rubs me wrong lol. Not sure why! But will have to wait and see :P

I hope Mason gets his crap together sooner rather than later :P

WanMaiAKAyourhomie:P said...

Karanium sounds like a bish and looks like one too! hehe:) I dont like her. She needs to DIE! Mwahaha! >:D Anyways great start on Generation 2! Mattybooboo is too CUTE XD If only he was many years younger.. and real ^_^ hehe anyways Noodles I think your writing is spectacular! and i hope that i get to talk to you on Wix SOON!:D

Now i think Mattybooboo needs a new girlfriend though..or whoever she is.. i dont trust her nor do i think she was at her sisters house... There is something fishy about Karanium and i will find out.. SOON!Mahahaa!:D that stoopid banana fudging carrot is going DOWN! lol i think i need some help:// haha! Talk to you soon Mi nombre NyNoodles!:D haha

Bye!

Oh and i just noticed i wrote a long comment like old times!:D Hehe good times goodd GOOOOD FRIGGN TIMES:DDDD hehee and i finally commented on the Sullivan legacy!:D WOO! hehe

Okay bye!D

buckeygirl80 said...

Yay, the second generation is up and running! I so wasn't expecting the brothers to be at odds. Love the story line so far. I'm not too sure about liking Kiara either, but it's hard to tell from the first chapter. I hope Mason doesn't ruin Matthew's life too much. Can't wait to see what happens next! :)

Anonymous said...

Kiara seems to be the sort of woman who will only be supportive if Matthew is doing things her way.
I think she is cheating on him!

I hope Mason gets himself together the way that Matthew has.

A great beginning to the new generation!

LeahT said...

Hannah's going to think of Kiara as another Jullium, I know it! lol I love Mason. And I LOVE how you mentioned Tom Jetty... lol a die hard fan, you are. XD LOVE it. Now... which twin inherited the superhero gene? I shall be observing closely over these next "six" months.

Unknown said...

Glad that you all enjoyed chapter 1 of Generation 2. It may seem that Kiara is a bit let's say...selfish. But on the other hand it is quite hard to watch a person you love get walked all over and fall apart. Mason has sort of lost his way...even worse than Matthew. While her actions are a bit harsh they are understandable. She isn't a villain or a "Jullium" but she could support Matthew a little more!

Leah- LOL! No super hero genes here...and I had to think of something so why not use my favorite singer/band!

Thanks for reading everyone. I will try to update as much as possible...but with the weather getting nice they won't be as frequent. But I will do what I can!

holleyberry said...

I agree with Qui, I'm holding my judgement about Kiara until I see more of what happens between the two brothers. you never know, maybe giving Mason this one last chance will be the ticket.
Great to see the boys! The house looks great and I can't wait to read some more!

BethhXD said...

0_0 , loved it ;D Soo glad matthew won! I bet he's gonna be like aimee!What an interesting generation this will be :)

Post a Comment